In a fascinating new book, published in 2018, Dr Avrum Bluming and Dr Carol Tavris re-examine the evidence for replacing hormones, and in particular Oestrogen, at the start of the Menopause. They conclude that the benefits are significant and that the dangers of HRT have been exaggerated.
- Oestrogen replacement may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke as much as 50%
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s is also reduced if Oestrogen is used for ten years from the start of the menopause.
If your hormone replacement therapy is stopped then the risks return.
You can see a video of the authors talking about their book here:
What You Should Know about the Window of Opportunity
The window of opportunity for Hormone Replacement during Menopause is the first six years from the start of your menopause.
Many studies now show that Replacement Hormones, when given at the start of the menopause, have huge benefits and can:
- Reduce your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke by at least 30%. Dr Avrum Bluming and Dr Carol Tavris suggest the reduction or risk may be by as much as 50%.
- Prevent Osteoporosis.
- Slow down or lessen the onset of Dementia.
Oestrogen, the Key to Retaining Your Memory through Your Menopause
Replacing Lost Oestrogen during the menopause has the following benefits for your memory:
- Stimulates the growth of nerve cells and regenerates axons.
- Decreases nerve cell death that occurs in Alzheimer’s disease. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9344546
- Makes brain cells more responsive to nerve growth factor, increasing new nerve cells and axons.
- Reduces the production of beta-amyloid, the deposit in amyloid plaque in dementia.
- Improves cerebral blood flow, and promotes the uptake of glucose to the brain.
Dr. Pauline M Maki Ph.D. a Professor of Psychiatry and Psychology at the University of Illinois at Chicago, has shown in PET brain scans that oestrogen users increase the blood flow in the Hippocampus – the area of the brain involved in memory.
Oestrogen replacement at the start of the menopause may:
- Prevent memory loss
- Improve neurotransmitter function
- Boost blood flow
- Enhance glucose metabolism
- Protect neurones from Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke as much as 50%
- Prevent and treat Osteopenia and Osteoporosis
Contact us today to find out how bio identical hormone replacement could help you.