Dr Russel Reiter is a World Authority on the hormone Melatonin and has published many scientific papers in his 50 year career.
His findings show that Melatonin is a remarkable human hormone, vital to good sleep but also essential to the maintenance of good health, reproductive biology, cell repair and healing.
His work has examined the effects of humans subverting the natural cycle of day and night / light and dark with artificial light. As the Circadian rhythm is disturbed by manmade light, Melatonin production is compromised with consequences for many biological events in the body.
His conclusion is that mankind’s use of artificial light is a disruptive effect on our Circadian rhythm with a price to pay for our health.
Clinical Use of Melatonin
Dr Reiter has examined the many benefits from using Melatonin clinically. As such it has been shown, when administered in experiments, to inhibit the growth of certain cancers and can be used in the treatment and prevention of these cancers. Doses used in this treatment are larger than those used for improving sleep.
Dr Reiter says, “Melatonin is also a highly effective direct free radical scavenger and antioxidant. In this capacity, melatonin reduces experimental cataract formation, traumatic injury to the spinal cord and brain, and protects against oxidative damage to neurons and glia in models of stroke, Parkinsons, and Alzheimer’s disease. Additionally, melatonin and its metabolites are highly effective in protecting against ionizing radiation. Finally, melatonin may be a treatment for hypertension.”
Taking Melatonin does not inhibit your natural production of the hormone and is non-addictive.
Melatonin should always be taken under the supervision of a medical practitioner and not self-prescribed
Melatonin Facts :
- Every system in your body has a 24 hour cycle (Circadian Rhythm) Melatonin production is the means by which the body’s cells are informed of day/night and kept in synchrony.
- All known species of animals/plants have Melatonin.
- Produced in the Pineal gland released into the blood system to every cell in the body
- Indicates to all your body cells that it is night/dark
- Is a powerful anti-Oxidant.
- Increases deep sleep
- Is vital for body repair and healing
- Stimulates mitochondrial growth
- No toxic effects even in large doses
- Production reduces from the age of 30 onwards.
- Darkness promotes the production of Melatonin.
- Production stops when blue/white light enters your eyes (e.g. bedside light, TV, iPad, smartphone)
- The brighter the light the stronger the negative effect on Melatonin
- Is not affected by moonlight
You can watch one of Russel Reiter’s lectures on the benefits of Melatonin here: https://youtu.be/I7YIRqTNmuY
For a consultation and advice on tests and treatment options contact our central London clinic: http://www.holisticmedical.co.uk/